[INTERVIEW] GFriend, average age of 18, talks about "Difficult and joyful moments"

Translated by GFriend Translate
Please do not edit, copy, repost without credit
2015.08.16
Source: Newsen


◆ Yerin (18 years old)

I was the happiest when the notice was posted. I didn't know whether it'll work out but I still applied and took the test secretly without my parents knowing. That was my first step towards the entertainment industry. I took the test after 2 months of learning to dance. So I didn't have much hope. When I started, I started on the wrong beat. But I didn't want to waste my application fee so I danced happily. The judges reacted really positively. I guess it's good when you're not nervous and just want to enjoy the dance.

My crisis was when I was 6 years old. I was playing with my relatives and I accidentally fell over. I placed my foot in the wrong place on the scooter and I fell to the ground. We were young and I didn't know how serious it was but I was crying and running to my mom. My mouth was full of blood so my mom took me to the hospital. I remember having to pull out my front tooth, treating the wound and being seriously injured. 


◆ Eunha (18 years old)
When I was in high school, I took the mock exam without being fully prepared. I remember being really happy since I was placed 1st in the class. 

My crisis was when I was 7 years old. I was sick at that time. Because it was an uncommon illness, I had treatment for around a year and after that I had to go to the hospital for around 6 years. It was a difficult time for my parents.


◆ Sowon (19 years old)
My happiest moment was when I passed the company audition. My dream was to become a singer. I've spent around a year and a half going to and from companies. It was a difficult time because I wasn't achieving anything. But I passed in the end so I was really happy. At the time, I was wondering if I could be a trainee, let alone a singer, but I passed. I was really happy to get in touch with everyone around me.

What's my crisis? When I was in school, we went to Mount Kumgang. When we heard the news about the tours, the teachers and students were really nervous. I was very nervous too.



◆ Yuju (17 years old)

When I was in high school, I left the company that I was training at for around a year and a half. I had a lot of worries at that time. I participated in a singing contest. It was quite a big competition. I was happy to be selected as one of the 12 finalists but I won a gold medal in the solo category in the end. It was unbelievable. I got ₩1,000,000 (approx. $800) from the prize so I gave it to my parents and used some as 'leisure expenses'.

When I was young, I went to the park with my family. But there was a point where we were quite far away from each other. At that moment, a man tried to naturally take me away whilst acting as if he was my dad. I started screaming and my family ran over. But the man pretended that he was consoling me and then left. It was a really scary experience.



◆ Sinb (17 years old)

The happiest moment was when the title track got changed? The debut song originally wasn't 'Glass Bead' but I was really happy when the title track got changed to it. 

My dad is very sensitive to my grades. When I was in elementary school, I had to get my report card signed. But the grade that I got was not up to my dad's standards. So I imitated an adult's signature. It was a pretty big crisis. 



◆ Umji (16 years old)
My happiest moment was when my friends started using mobile phones during elementary school but my parents wouldn't buy it for me. I told them to buy one for me if I do really well on the test. In the end, because I got a good grade, they bought me a mobile phone. But then when I got the phone, my grades started to drop. 

Rather than a crisis, this was a scary experience. When I was in elementary school, I went to a camp in America with my brother. My stomach ached so much at that time but I tried to hold it in. But it got really bad so I had to go to the hospital. They said it was appendicitis and I had to have an appendectomy. I think that was my first and last time riding an ambulance in America. My parents were so shocked and I think the hospital bill must be really expensive so I remember being really sorry. 


Meanwhile, GFriend who debuted with 'Glass Bead', quickly emerged as a rookie of the K-pop scene with its debut song and second single 'Me Gustas Tu'. On 23rd July 'Me Gustas Tu', it topped the real-time music charts as soon as it was released, posting remarkable results. With its innocent visual and dynamic group dance, as much as boy groups, it is building its own unique image. 


Please note: This article is originally in Korean and was translated to Chinese. I then translated from Chinese to English. Please let me know if there are any errors

Comments